Sunday 22 July 2012

Day 5 - the kindness of strangers

Day 5

Well after a nice day of riding yesterday, the weather this morning was again sunny and
warm.  Time to go into town and get some breakfast, then head out.  Today I would try for
Ottawa.

During breakfast I decided to get going on the blog.  I love sharing the trip with friends.
After a few hours of blogging, it was time to go.  As I was leaving, a biker approached me
and said "Nice day!".  He introduced himself as Maurice.

Maurice is off work from Fort Mac, and has 6 months off.  So what has he decided to do with
his time off?  Well go on a bike trip through South America of course!  If I had to guess,
I'd say he's in his mid to late fifties.  Who says adventure is for the young?

It was another nice day for riding.  Once again, the sun was out and the temp was in the
20's.  And as I have seen many times throughout Ontario, there were tonnes of
motorcyclists.  There is a route around Superior called the Superior Loop which is very
popular amongst the two wheelers.  Many Canadians and Americans do the loop.

I should tell you about the roads in Ontario. The Trans Canada is in awesome shape.  It is
not divided, however, and the speed limit of 90 km's probably frustrates some people - not
that they obey the limit anyways!  Often cars would pass me and I was doing 100!
Also there are warning signs for Moose absolutely everywhere. The signs often have the
caption "Night Danger".  I was warned by motorists and bikers alike that I should not ride
at night. 

The closer I got to Ottawa, the more the landscape changed.  There were still plenty of
pine trees, however human settlements became rather sparse.  At times I felt like I was out
in the middle of nowhere.  This excited me but also made me nervous at the same time.  Also
the smell of pine was stronger.  The quality of the roads also started to deteriorate -
there were ruts to watch out for now.  The feel of the place was very rugged.

Along the way a couple of riders on Spider Canams passed by me.  These bikes are three
wheeled motorcycles, two wheels in the front and one in the back. 

I eventually arrived at Pembrook, Ontario.  It was close to dusk, and Ottawa was still 150
km's away.  I don`t like to ride at night, so I chose to stay for the night.

I stopped at a gas station, and asked the attendant, Amy, about motels and campgrounds. 
She immediately offered her back yard for me to camp at.  After a few moments of thinking about
it, I decided to take her up on her offer.  Hey, sometimes you just have to let go of fear
and doubt and just do it!

I left the station and went to Irvings truck stop for dinner.  I noticed in the parking lot
the two Can Ams I saw earlier. In the restaurant I sat near two bikers who had Canam leather jackets.  The two riders were ladies and one of them said to me "a bit nippy out there!" She then smiled and said "we've been following you".

I found out they both work for a Canam parts and accessories dealer in Sherbrooke, Quebec,
and that they were coming back from a visit to a customer in Cochrane, Ontario. What a job
I thought!  I wish I could find a job where it involved doing road trips!

After eating, I rode to Amy's house.  Only to find it pitch dark.  I knocked on the door,
but nothing.  At this point I felt a little nervous.  She had told me that she was off at
9, and it was almost 10.  What was going on? The logical part of my brain told me she was
probably just held up.  The primal part of my brain told me this was bad news, that her and
her friends would show up and slaughter me in my sleep.

I decided to set up tent. 

Partly as a joke, I sent a text to my friend Brent to tell him what my situation was, that
I was here camping in this girl's backyard but she wasn't here.  I told him that if I get
murdered, to please arrange to have all of my assets left to the James Walters Memorial
Brothel.

Soon after sending my text, Amy showed up!  She told me her friend had to go to the
hospital because of an allergic reaction, so she went to see her.

Amy and I got talking and she told me she is a country girl.  She hunts, quads, rides snow
mobiles, everything country you can think of!  She has even skinned a Moose!  Well it's no
wonder she had no hesitation about inviting me to stay - if I tried anything, she could
obviously handle herself quite well!

We said our good-nights and I put my head down on the ground.  Although I was tired, the
excitement of the day kept me awake for some time.  I wondered what was in store for me
tomorrow?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home